A Day in the Life of Charlotte from The Forelock Journal

5:45am Wake up call, morning kisses with Hamish, 8 hours at the day job, back for more kisses with Ham, sunset and bed. Simply put, that’s a day in my life.

A day in my life is sadly not all that exciting, but I love it nonetheless. My alarm is set to go off at 5.45am, I should probably get up a little earlier than this but 5.45am seems far more reasonable. I jump out of bed and chuck on some clothes; normally old joggers, a t-shirt and jumper, none of which are coordinated. With un-brushed hair and zero make up I head straight to the yard, arriving about ten past six. I get all of my jobs done in the morning, so I don’t have to face them later in the day and pop Hamish out in the field for the day with his friends. I really enjoy my early mornings at the stables, even though sometimes it’s hard to get out of bed, it’s so peaceful and quiet and it sets me up for the day – also, how lucky am I that I get to see the sunrise over the fields every day!?

After that I’m straight home to shower and get ready for work. I start work at 08:00am, so my mornings are pretty jam-packed. I work for my Dad in his security firm as Operations Team Leader. Basically we book in the jobs, ensure the engineers have everything they need and try to make sure the business runs smoothly! I actually quite enjoy my job, which is a bonus. The days are super busy and fly by. I’m lucky enough to work 8am-4pm, which means I leave in time to still make the most of the afternoons.

I usually arrive at the yard by about 5pm and almost always I feel relaxed as soon as I arrive. I grab my boy in from the field for a groom, a fuss and some hay. If I’m riding I am usually on and in the school by about 5.30pm / 5.45pm. If we’re hacking of an afternoon I often have to be on a bit earlier to beat the light now the evenings are closing in a little. Once I’ve ridden I un-tack and give Hamish another little brush off and get him ready for bed. I pop him in his stable whilst I put his tack away and grab his dinner. As I walk back to the yard with his dinner bucket his always chats to me to tell me how hungry he is, I pop his dinner in and finish tidying up before washing out his dinner bowl and kissing him goodnight. I don’t know if its just me, but I usually end up going back in again and giving him one last cuddle before I leave for the evening.

Then I’m home… Mostly I get in about 7.30pm and I always get straight into my comfy clothes before cooking dinner and settling down to watch a good tv series – when I say watching a good series, I mean starting to watch, as I usually fall asleep within half an hour.

What’s your usual day to day routine? Is it is similar to mine? Writing this I realise how much I’m grateful to live the life I do. Despite working full time and fitting horses in around it, getting up early and getting home late, I’m really lucky. I have a job I enjoy, with good hours, I have a wonderful horse at a lovely little yard and I get to spend everyday outdoors doing what I love.



  1. October 3, 2018 / 5:03 pm

    The days when I had the energy to keep up with you are long gone, but good on you.

    • forelockjournal
      October 4, 2018 / 1:03 pm

      Ha! I have to say I struggle to keep up myself sometimes too, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Thank you and thanks for taking the time to read my post, I really do appreciate it.

  2. October 3, 2018 / 8:08 pm

    Sounds lovely! I find being at the yard very relaxing too. You and Hamish sound like you have very nice lives!

    • forelockjournal
      October 4, 2018 / 1:02 pm

      Thank you so much! It’s not always happy and rosy but I think it’s important to be grateful for what you have. The yard is definitely my happy place. xx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *